You must be wondering about the title of this blog, that is if anybody reads this blog.
So, what about a glue gun.
I finished the dress and after a discussion and various comments I have decided that making the dress shorter and reduce the poofiness in the front and back will create a nicer and more appealing silhouette.
Now, when I glued the butterflies the first time I used Fabritec glue which I use a lot but this time when I took the dress off and started opening seams to adjust the shape, the butterflies started falling off. No good.
So when I finished the alterations I used a stronger glue.
This glue did the job and the butterflies stayed put and even after trying to pull them off, they stayed on. So happily I went on my way to tackle the next project. The head dress.
I cut the fabric part and put it together to my satisfaction.
Now that this was done I had to figure out how to add the butterflies.
Initially I thought of plant wire. It's thin and pliable and I could thread it through the fabric.
Tried it and NO. the wire does not support itself. So I tried a jewelry wire. NO
Then I had an idea of using headpins that I use in my jewelry making. I thought that since they have a flat head I could glue them with the Tacky Glue on the surface of the head piece. I tried and the glue would not hold.
So I consulted a friend who suggested inserting the pin from the back and glue with a glue gun in the back.
Now we are finally getting to the glue gun story.
Years ago, I got a glue gun for some reason and tried to use it.
Now not knowing how it works beside watching youtube videos on the subject I thought to myself, well it looks easy enough.
So armed with the gun and enough plastic rods to put the Titanic back together I tried it.
You know that voice in your head that tells you sometime that something is not a good idea, well this voice told me DO NOT TOUCH THE HOT GLUE.
Did I isten? NO
So as I was applying the glue expecting a nice thin line, I got this blob and a string of melted plastic that extended from the gun to the surface, so what did I do?
I touched it in order to separate the string and kind of flattening the blob.
Now I had piping hot plastic glued to my finger and running around the room shaking my hand, did not seem to help removing the plastic from my finger.
Yep I got burned. So angry and annoyed and humiliated I put the gun away swearing that I will never use this again. I think that at some point I even threw away all the plastic rods and the gun as well.
So of to Michaels I went to purchase a new glue gun and supplies. Luckily I got one for $7.00 plus I had a coupon for 40% off so in case it doesn't work I will not be out of too much money.
Well it worked.
I tried a little sample and I got what I wanted.
The butterflies were glued with the tacky glue and stayed put.
So I started inserting the pins and gluing them with the gun. It does not look all perfect in the back, so it will be covered again with the lining fabric, but I got the results I wanted and did not burn myself even once. Hahahahah
At this point it looks like a headpiece for Hellraiser, but now I need to apply the butterflies.
That's it for now. Today I'll start applying the butterflies and adjusting the length of the pins .
Till next time.