Pleats pleats pleats.
It's a great look but a pain to make. Well, for the most part. Working on the Dior group, pleating is essential. There are pleated skirts and lots of them. Years a go I got a pleater board which I use for most of my pleating. It works great for knife pleats, but when you have a circular skirt it just won't do. The hem line shifts and you get a mess, the pleat is narrow at the top and wider at the bottom, which a pleater board just won't do. So I turned to google and utube an
I started adding the black tulle to the collar and sleeve. Next attaching it with tiny stitches that will not be visible. Once the bodice was done it was time to make the belt. All done. And with the belt and accessories. All done and ready to find a new home. Next outfit is in the making. Stay tuned. Ayal
I made the top of the jacket. It's made of red silk dupioni and lined with the same silk. Next I draped fabric along the waist in a configuration based on the original dress from Dior. I have to take under consideration that the more pleats and folds I add, the bulkier the waist will get and that will create an unflattering waist as well as won't let the jacket close. I created a pattern for the lower part, cut it from red silk dupioni that I used for the top, lining from red
From inspiration to final outfit.
Working on the After Dior group created a challenge for me. First I don't have a crew that can transform my ideas to a finished product. I do it all. So I started with an outfit that Galliano's did for Dior Spring/ Summer 2011. I love everything about this outfit and in the past made some variations of it. So I started with the skirt. A silvery fabric that I have no idea where I got from, its silky and soft. I lined it with a layer of burgundy silk organza and red glitter tul
When more is just right.
So I set out to work on the skirt for the Dierdre outfit, and it was not working as well as I planned. I used black chiffon for the top, pleated it and attached the waistband, but it was not looking right. So I dug the organza failed skirt, the one that I contemplated on throwing away and used it as an underskirt. Lo and behold it worked. The organza gave the skirt the fullness that I was looking for. So I attached the waist bands and in the front I attached lace trim to
When something is missing
When I was putting this outfit together, I had in mind to add a black full skirt that will puff the coat and will show from the front. I spent time cutting black organza in a semi circle, pleated the top. hemmed the bottom, and ironed it. The pleats did not work and being that it was a semi circle, some areas that were on the bias, became longer then the rest. I tried to rectify it, but whatever I did just made it worse so I decided to throw it away and forget about the skirt